Sunday, October 10, 2010

Riding Bikes

This afternoon, the sun started peaking through the clouds so we decided to go outside. It was great bike riding weather so we pulled the bikes and helmets out. Pumped the tires and took off.

First it was the boys and I. While we were waiting for Colin to find his helmet, Jordan took off and found a snail. It was a good sized one. I encouraged Jordan to return it to its home, but instead he decided he needed to carry it on our bike ride. After we had been riding for a few minutes, the snail started coming out of its shell and Jordan didn't want it attaching to his hand. I finally suggested we put the snail on the foot holds of the child carrier on the back of my bike. Let me tell you, that snail enjoyed its ride. It crawled all over that foot hold during the rest of the ride, while we made the loop around the school.

Then Lauren got up from her nap and came outside. She wanted to go for a ride so I put her in the child carrier on the back of my bike and we rode. She had a lot of fun. She liked going fast.

After that, Lauren got her bike out of the shed all by herself and decided she wanted to go for another bike ride. Her most common question during her ride was why the sidewalk had different coloring in it. She had to stop and look at each discoloration along the way. She only allowed me to walk behind her. Every time I got beside her she told me to walk behind her. She also did tricks along the way...like gliding on her bike with her feet lifted up, pedaling with one foot and trying to ride sitting on the bar between the seat and handle bars. She followed the sidewalk all the way down and around the culdesac and back. She did great pedaling. Then on the final stretch as we turning onto our street she was going to fast, turned to sharp and went splat on the ground. She scraped her knee a little bit, but was otherwise okay.

Now I'm looking forward to our next ride.

No comments: