Thursday, May 7, 2009

Office Cleanup

Today I started to move all my stuff from my current office at work to my new window office. I am so excited I will finally be able to see outside. Getting a window office is a sign of seniority in our company. The problem is that the head counts have stayed pretty stable over the past several years and nobody with a window office has left the company which resulted in a long wait for me to finally get my window office. Recently, someone finally moved out of a window office to work in CA (or at least that is the rumor I heard), so the office shuffle began. Person A moved into the window office of the person that left, then Person B moved into Person A's window office and I am moving into Person B's window office. At this point in time, nobody is moving into my office. I have been in my current office for almost 9 years and at the company for a little over 10 years. I have played a support role interfacing with technical support and customers supporting our products as well as worked on test teams of 4 major products over the years with some smaller side products/projects. I have taken 3 maternity leaves, which total about 1 year of time and I will be taking my 3 month sabbatical next summer for reaching 10 years...yeah!

While cleaning out my office I found several things that show how long I have been in my office and at my current job. I think it also shows that I don't clean my office too often at work.

Here is a list of my top 10 favorite things I found:
1. My hourly timecards from Oct 1999 to June 2000 when I was an intern.
2. Product info for stuff I worked on between 1999 and 2001 (like user guides and manuals).
3. Company goal and initiative cards for every year starting in 2001 when we were acquired by Cisco.
4. Too many 3.5" floppy disks to count.
5. Contact solution that expired in 2004.
6. A card with contact phone numbers of family members and the only number that was still relevant on the card was mom and dad's home number.
7. Rubberbands that had gone hard and cracked into many pieces.
8. One of Tim's business cards from when we were dating.
9. Bus itineraries from 2003 mapping a bus route to a training class I was going to attend.
10. Too much dust.

I think this list goes to show that I should clean up my office a little more often. By Monday I should be pretty much settled in my new office and my eyes will have to start the adjustment to daylight instead of flourescent lights during the day. I think I can handle it though.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

I've been with my company for almost 10 years now. Luckily, I've had to move several times, so I've never found anything that old - although, I tend to be a pack rat, so I could see it happening! Congrats on the window!