Saturday, June 4, 2011

Teaching Our Children

We have had some challenges with our children over the past few months. Things have happened at school that have concerned me about whether we are teaching our children what they need to know and if we are teaching them sufficiently. I have struggled with how to deal with the situations we are facing.

While reading on tofw.com I found the following blog entry and it really made an impression on me. (http://tofw.com/story/128-teaching-healthy-sexuality) I have copied part of it here, but it is worth reading in its complete form on the tofw blog.

"Recently, I have been fascinated with Joseph Smith’s statement about the inner turmoil and uncertainty he wrestled with as an adolescent. In Joseph Smith History 1:12 he states, “…for how to act I did not know, and unless I could get more wisdom than I then had, I would never know…”

Imagine for a moment if the “would never know” part of that statement had come to pass? How would his life have been different? How would our lives be different? It is indeed a blessing that Joseph Smith was raised in a home that nurtured his spiritual sensitivities and supported his questions being directed heavenward.

While reflecting upon Joseph Smith’s process for finding answers, I began to wonder what would have happened if he had lived in today’s world and had chosen instead to Google his question rather than “ask of God”? I decided to Google a modern-day version of Joseph Smith’s question: “which religion is right and which should I join?” I was amazed to find out that in exactly 0.17 seconds I had 138,000,000 answers to my question!

As I stared at the stream of answers on my computer screen, I couldn’t help but think how completely unhelpful this process would be for an adolescent who is unsure of how to act. And, here is the punch-line: this is precisely what is happening with many of our youth who have sincere and valid questions about important areas of life, but who don’t know where to turn for answers. Sadly, the Internet has become a modern-day oracle for an entire generation of youth who are seeking answers on various topics. Some questions are appropriately handled online (e.g., “which movie has the best reviews right now?”), but others require the loving and steadying influence of direct communication with a parent, ecclesiastical leader or Heavenly Father."

When I face turmoil, where do I turn. When I have questions that I want to know, where do I turn? Unfortunately, to often, I do find myself opening the laptop and entering search criteria into Google. Sometimes I forget the best way for me to receive answers (especially ones regarding family) is to go to my Heavenly Father in prayer. I have spent a lot of time over the past couple of months praying to my Heavenly Father. Asking him for guidance and for comfort and to know how to handle the challenges we are facing. I have been comforted. I have been given some guidance. The challenges still continue, but I know my Heavenly Father is there for me when I need him and I will continue to go to my Heavenly Father, just as Joseph Smith did so many years ago.

No comments: